Sunday, February 05, 2012

Project Unbreakable

Unbreakable

Thanks to a friend who tipped me off to this project, using photography as a way to help survivors of sexual abuse/assault.   She photographs survivors with quotes from their perpetrators.  Recently, people have been taking pictures of themselves and their quotes and sending them to Grace from all over the country.  Read more about it below:

Taken today. 
This woman, moments after her rape last year, had to scream and cry on a public street just so the police would actually take her to the precinct - they wouldn’t because they told her what happened wasn’t a crime. 
This is the excerpt from her email she sent me, before we met up:
There was one female officer, a sergeant, who responded to my 911 call that night. I truly thought, She’s a woman, maybe I can get through to her, woman-to-woman. As the police tried to escape to their cars and leave me weeping pantyless on the sidewalk, I followed her, begging with her to listen to me. I said to her something like, “Please, please help me… Imagine as a woman what this must feel like for me…”
The quote on the poster is what the female sergeant replied.
—
On a different note, this is going to be the last photo until the weekend is over. This project is tough to manage, but it’s probably also tough to read as well. I think it would be good for all of us to take a couple of days to just breathe. Okay? Okay. No clicking onto the site, either. Just take some time for yourself. 
xo
Grace
—
Edit: The rest of Meredith’s story.. 


In October of last year, Grace Brown began a photography project called Project Unbreakable. Grace uses photography to help heal sexual abuse survivors by photographing them with posters that hold quotes from their attackers. Rape survivor and advocate for victims of sexual abuse, Yvonne Moss, describes the project as a way for victims to take the power back of the words that were once used against them. 

 Grace plans on photographing survivors for as long as she possibly can. Her goal is to spread light, awareness, and healing for those who have been affected. 

If you are interested in participating by either being photographed or sending in your own image, you may send her an email at projectunbreakable@gmail.com with the subject line "Photograph Me" or "Submission", depending on the circumstance. 


If you have an image you would like to submit, please email me at grace@50extraordinarywomen.com  And if you’re in NYC, MA, NJ, or Washington DC then I would potentially be able to photograph you in the near future - just send me an email.



No comments:

Post a Comment